Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
The first interview in our podcast! In the future there will be many more interviews to come.
Holly Xiao, 肖书媛 came to Sweden 2009 and studied as a exchange student for two years. She has a master degree in intentional business and now works at University West as a International Coordinator. Her main job is to take care of Chinese exchange students.
What kind of help international can Office do for newly arrived students?
– Pickup service upon arrival day
– International helpdesk
– 3 Introduction days
– General information
– Show around town
How is it like to study in Sweden in comparison to China?
– Sweden has group assignment
– Few hours study but many books to read
– More self study
– More about using information and giving your own idea.
– Cooperate not compete
– Exams after course is finished compared to China where all exams are at the same time in the end if the term
– Too long time at examination days, 4-5 hours, normally it just takes 2 hours. (Can also bring food, drink and go to toilet)
– Questions is to see you get the general idea and can use your knowledge.
– Many Chinese people are shy and afraid to speak
– Can improve if you just keep on trying
– Can understand and follow just difficult during the first weeks
Hollys personal opinions about Sweden after living here during 4 years:
-People are really enjoying their life’s here.
– Job is not everything
– Don’t live in a frame, take things more as they comes (Compare this to China where some people already plans what they will do when they are 20, 30, or even 40 and so on)
– Enjoy your spare time a lot
– Good working conditions with long vacation of 5 weeks
How to make more friends here:
-Take the initiative
– Be brave
– Invite people over for dinner
– Swedish people are also shy
How to survive winter in Sweden:
– Not that cold compared to China
– Darkness is the worst part
– Have a strong heart, make a lot of friends and have lots of activities
The biggest problems for exchange students during their studies:
– To integrate in the Swedish society even though is has been some positive progress the last couple of years.
– Don’t forget to bring insurance paper to hospital. If you didn’t bring and paid international office help you get your money back from insurance company.
– In China people are used to take medicine when sick. In Sweden the doctor can tell you to go home and rest for some days.
– People forget to register to the exams and then they have to take next exam instead. Register at least 3 weeks before the examination day.
– Some students can’t get their deposit for their apartment back and it’s because they don’t clean well. Sweden is a very clean country.
– In general Swedish people greet friends with a hug. Once again Swedish people are also shy, in this aspect Swedes are similar to Chinese people.
WeChat ID: “Welcome_Sweden”